Congressman Blum Introduces Enforcement Transparency Act of 2015

Bill Will Give Medical Researchers Regulatory Certainty

f t # e
Washington, DC, July 24, 2015 | comments

This week Congressman Rod Blum, along with Congressman Kevin Cramer (R-ND) and Congressman Dr. Dan Benishek (R-MI), introduced H.R.3136, the Enforcement Transparency Act (ETA) of 2015. This legislation would require the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) to publicly release the table used to calculate fines by the Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) for violations under the Animal Welfare Act.

“Unfortunately, there are too many regulatory barriers facing American researchers as they work to develop life saving cures and new medical technologies,” said Congressman Blum. “According to the National Science Board, our researchers spend 42% of their time doing paperwork instead of working to develop advances in medicine that will treat and cure the horrible diseases that afflict Americans. This legislation will help ensure that the remaining 58% of their time is focused as much as possible on conducting high quality research. Any industry - especially one as critical as the medical research community - deserves the certainty and stability of knowing what the rules are as they work to advance our society and save Americans from debilitating diseases.”

Rod Blum is the Republican Congressman in Iowa’s 1st District. He is a member of the Budget and Oversight& Government Reform Committees.

###

f t # e

Stay Connected

Use the form below to sign up for my newsletter and get the latest news and updates directly to your inbox.